Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Wildhoney



Wildhoney is from Baltimore. Their back catalog seems to be a mixture of post-punk and shoegaze, but their latest album, "Seventeen Forever", is really going towards that early 90's shoegaze sound. They exist on the rougher, more "punk" end of the shoegaze spectrum even though they still have that distinct "pretty" sound. Is it trite and played out to say that a band like this sounds like Slowdive? I don't listen to that much shoegaze so that is the first band that comes to mind, but I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Regardless, Wildhoney kills it, and if you are into shoegaze you will definitely not be disappointed with this band. I slept on them for a while, but I think right now I am going through "Seventeen Forever" for the 5th time, so yeah. The jam on the album seems to be the track "Seventeen", which really is an amazing song. The recording quality on the record is spot on, and I have to also add that, from what I have seen on youtube, they sound super fucking good live. Check them out if you can, they are playing Baltimore and New York really soon.

(I used the word "shoegaze" 5 times up there and I hate myself for that repetition)



***

No comments: