Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Barbelith


Over the past weekend I spent a considerable amount of time with Barbelith and Co. The time spent climaxed on Monday night at The Crown when both our bands played in support of the Tempest / Vestiges tour. Aside from eating crabs, Barbelith's set was my favorite part of the week.

Normally I don't really give too many fucks about black metal, honestly, but I really like Barbelith. It might have something to do with the fact that they are from Baltimore, but it also is important to note that they are a really good, interesting band. I've seen them a few times, and it was always at least dope, but the other night they were on fucking point. Aside from the fact that what I am assuming is their new material slays so hard, they changed the way that they perform in such a manner that really adds alot more "atmosphere" to the whole "atmospheric black metal" thing. Back in the day homie used to just trigger ambient samples between songs or whatever, but now the dudes are actually playing keyboards and making the tones live. It adds so much depth to the performance as a whole, aside from the fact that it simply sounds better.

They only have one album recorded, which is linked below. I'm almost positive that they have the material for a new release ready to go, and I cannot wait for that joint to get put out. On the real: the release below is sick, but the sets that they play now blow their old stuff out of the water. All of the guys are next level good at their instruments and on top of that are some of the nicest people I have met in a hot minute. I back these dudes pretty hard. Check it out, and try to see them live. Its 100 percent worth it. Word.



***

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WORD